Welcome to Monmouth Comprehensive School, and to our website.
We are absolutely determined to provide an exceptional standard of education for every child that comes to our school, so that they have the opportunity to lead happy and successful lives. In order for that to happen, our students need to do two simple things - work hard and be kind.
We are a welcoming and caring school that also has exceedingly high expectations of every single one of our students. We take great pride in enabling them to grow and to flourish.
THE WELSH BACCALAUREATE
The Welsh Baccalaureate
All students in Years 10 and 11 follow the Intermediate Welsh Baccalaureate programme. The Advanced Welsh Baccalaureate is followed by Year 12 students. The qualification rewards students for their continual skills development in and out of lessons, as well as success in their Core and Option subjects. The Core curriculum comprises of the same components at both levels.
The Welsh Baccalaureate is valued by employers, further and higher education establishments as well as the students that follow it.
The two parts of the Welsh Baccalaureate work together as follows:
The first part is comprised of ‘Options’, selected from established, approved courses/programmes. For example, GCSEs, Vocational GCSEs, BTEC, or NVQs.
The second part is the ‘Core Curriculum’. The components of the Core Curriculum are:
• Essential and Wider Key Skills – as well as from their options, students develop transferable Essential and Wider Key Skills through the other four components outlined below.
• Work-Related Education – includes working with an employer and taking part in a team enterprise activity to help the student understand how businesses work.
• Individual Investigation – the opportunity to carry out an individual research project intoan area of interest.
• Wales, Europe and the World – a chance to learn more about Wales and its relationshipwith Europe and the World. A language module at a level suitable for the student is included in this.
• Personal and Social Education – helps the student explore issues in the modern world:family, health, relationships, citizenship and sustainable development. It includes anactivity in the local community.
• Tutorial Support and Mentoring – Throughout the programme, students receive support and guidance from a personal tutor. This is at both individual and group level – appropriate to their needs.
Dear Parents and Students
Welcome to Monmouth Comprehensive School
In our school we encourage everyone to have the highest expectations of themselves and each other as together we Learn to Lead our Lives.
We are proud of our students’ academic achievements. Just as importantly, we are a school that cares. We believe that students need to feel comfortable and secure in order to learn and, as a school, we put as much emphasis on creating a supportive and happy environment as we do on academic success. We achieve both.
I look forward to working with you to ensure the very best learning and life for the young people in our care.